6.16.2010

Bustin' Out Of The Lunchtime Salad Rut


It's just so easy to get into a rut when it comes to salads and they I find myself getting bored with them often.  Since I'm on a huge vegetable kick lately, I wanted to pack a lunch for me to enjoy at work that combined healthy ingredients, but also twisted things up a bit to keep it interesting.  This little creation totally hit the spot.  Using a spinach and arugula mix, I tossed in slivered almonds, fresh blueberries and feta (blueberries and feta go surprisingly well together, by the way).  I like to package it all up in little baggies to keep all my ingredients fresh. (I know, I'm sorry environment.  It's wasteful to use so many little baggies but I like my salads to stay fresh.  How 'bout I remember to bring my reusable shopping bags with me to Trader Joe's and we call it even?)


Usually I like to make my own dressing but tonight I'm feeling sort of on the lazy side and can't seem to track down a portable container so it's a bottled balsamic for me to dress my greens up.  It won't be the same as my homemade, but it will still work.

So what's in it:

- Greens (I used a spinach/arugula mix)
- Blueberries
- Slivered almonds
- Feta
- Balsamic dressing

Could it get any easier than that?  What a nice little salad change up.  Nothing too outlandish or complicated, but just enough to keep lunch time interesting.

2 comments:

Boston Food Diary said...

Sounds delicious and nice and nutritious! I really like the idea of blueberry and feta together-going to have to try that!

Beth B. said...

I like the idea of putting the fruit in the salad. I always bring it separate but will need to try this one out soon. Always thinking SBK!! :)

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen