I had created this little recipe in my head on my way to work and to be honest, I wasn't sure how long it would take or whether or not it would even come out right. All of my doubts soon vanished when within 15 minutes of starting this little project, I was enjoying deliciously fresh and super satisfying vegetable cakes (or should they be called vegetable pancakes or vegetable fritters? I never know what to name the things I make...). I used some fresh seasonal ingredients that packed such a punch of sweet garden flavor, I know without a doubt, I will be making these again. And maybe even playing around with using different vegetables, depending on the season.
To accompany my little veggie cakes, I made a refreshing dill and mint yogurt sauce that was the perfect addition to the cakes. It really brought our the freshness of the vegetables and adding a nice cooling element to the dish. Perfect for a steamy summer evening like this.
Summer Vegetable Cakes with Dill and Mint Yogurt Sauce
- Makes 3-4 cakes and plenty of sauce
- 1 zucchini, finely shredded using a box grater
- 1 ear of fresh corn, cooked with the kernels cut off the cob
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- A couple tbs of grated Parmesan cheese
- A couple generous pinches of oregano
- Salt and pepper
- About 3 - 4 tbs flour
- About 1-2 tbs cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- A couple drizzles of olive oil for the pan
Start by heating a little olive oil in a pan on medium high heat. Next, make a batter out of the vegetables, flour, cornmeal, beaten egg, oregano and salt and pepper. Using your hands, form cakes and drop them one by one into the hot oiled pan. Let the cakes cook for a couple minutes on each side until the brown a little. Serve immediately.
Dill Mint and Yogurt Sauce
- 1 small container of fat free Greek yogurt
- A couple generous pinches of dried or fresh dill (I used dried)
- A couple generous pinches of dried or fresh mint (I used dried)
- The juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to flavor
So easy: combine everything in a bowl and mix together. Taste it. Add seasonings accordingly. Yum.