7.13.2010

Summer Vegetable Cakes with a Dill and Mint Yogurt Sauce (in 15 minutes or less)

Doesn't that just sound fancy and special?  I was talking on the phone with my Mom tonight and she asked me what I was making for dinner.  When I said, "Summer Vegetable Cakes with a Dill and Mint Yogurt Sauce" she paused for a moment and then asked me if I planned on eating this evening.  Doesn't the title of this little creation sound like something that would take forever to make?  Well the good news is, it doesn't.


I had created this little recipe in my head on my way to work and to be honest, I wasn't sure how long it would take or whether or not it would even come out right.  All of my doubts soon vanished when within 15 minutes of starting this little project, I was enjoying deliciously fresh and super satisfying vegetable cakes (or should they be called vegetable pancakes or vegetable fritters?  I never know what to name the things I make...).  I used some fresh seasonal ingredients that packed such a punch of sweet garden flavor, I know without a doubt, I will be making these again.  And maybe even playing around with using different vegetables, depending on the season.

To accompany my little veggie cakes, I made a refreshing dill and mint yogurt sauce that was the perfect addition to the cakes.  It really brought our the freshness of the vegetables and adding a nice cooling element to the dish.  Perfect for a steamy summer evening like this.



Summer Vegetable Cakes with Dill and Mint Yogurt Sauce
- Makes 3-4 cakes and plenty of sauce

- 1 zucchini, finely shredded using a box grater
- 1 ear of fresh corn, cooked with the kernels cut off the cob
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- A couple tbs of grated Parmesan cheese
- A couple generous pinches of oregano
-  Salt and pepper
- About 3 - 4 tbs flour
- About 1-2 tbs cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- A couple drizzles of olive oil for the pan

Start by heating a little olive oil in a pan on medium high heat.  Next, make a batter out of the vegetables, flour, cornmeal, beaten egg, oregano and salt and pepper.  Using your hands, form cakes and drop them one by one into the hot oiled pan.  Let the cakes cook for a couple minutes on each side until the brown a little.  Serve immediately.

Dill Mint and Yogurt Sauce
- 1 small container of fat free Greek yogurt
- A couple generous pinches of dried or fresh dill (I used dried)
- A couple generous pinches of dried or fresh mint (I used dried)
- The juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to flavor

So easy: combine everything in a bowl and mix together.  Taste it.  Add seasonings accordingly.  Yum.

8 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

These look fabulous! I can't believe they were so quick to make!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your originality....let me know when you open your own restaurant - I want to be at the front of the long line of customers!!

Boston Food Diary said...

Those look DELICIOUS! I can definitely see how you could adapt those for other seasons- wonderful!

daron said...

those look outstanding! great idea!

Beth said...

Yum! Such a great idea -- I need recipes like this to use all the veggies in my produce box. Thanks!

John Patten said...

OMG! I want one of those right now. They look heavenly...

Jean said...

Made these tonight. I added some chopped onion and chopped jalapeno. I also used 2 small ears of corn so I got about 6 cakes. They were delicious. Nice and crispy on the outside with a nice bite on the inside. I can't wait to finish off my leftovers tomorrow nite. Thank you for the idea.

Anonymous said...

I made these last night, what a great suggestion! My change was adding fresh garlic to both the pancakes and the dip and it was very tasty! Thanks again for the delicious dinner idea.

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen