10.18.2010

Dinner Tonight: Peach Sandwich


Oh the humble sandwich.  So underrated and unappreciated for all of it's brilliance.  Usually thought of a vessel for some plain jane Peanut Butter and Jelly or a lackluster ham and swiss, the sandwich never gets enough respect.  When it comes to dinnertime, the sandwich is often thought of a cop-out, a fall back and an excuse for not caring.  I say that's all blasphemy.  I say the sandwich belongs on the dinner table as a meal.


The inspiration for my dinner this evening came from me wandering around the grocery store, craving something light and fresh, but something a touch heartier than a salad.  So into my cart went a mix of spinach and arugula lettuce and some freshly baked rolls.  Then came the tricky part.  What next?  After some pacing down the aisles, I contemplated a roasted veggie sandwich but my stomach was already rumbling and I knew it wouldn't wait for everything to roast.  That put that idea to the side (to be made at a later date, of course) and then I spied some fresh peaches.  They were perfectly soft and just ripe, pretty much begging to be eaten.  I scooped up my finds, grabbed some goat cheese and was off.

Back in my Small Boston Kitchen, I sliced the peaches up real fine while the bread and goat cheese was melting.  Once the bread was crisply toasted and the goat cheese softened, I laid some fresh spinach and arugula on top of one piece and drizzled a little high quality balsamic (best investment ever) on top.  Next came the slices of peaches, a little more balsamic (I really love that stuff) and then the other piece of bread topped it off.  I stood back for a moment to admire my dinner and then excitedly, dug in.  The crispy bread crunched its way to the soft and sweet core of soft and warm goat cheese followed by juicy peaches and a slight sweet tang of balsamic.  This is the type of sandwich you eat for dinner.

9 comments:

ashleigh said...

This is making my mouth water and I just finished dinner. Very creative sandwich idea!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love anything with peaches. I have to say I never ever thought of making a sandwich out of one...way to go Small Boston Kitchen! Way to go!!

Delicious Dishings said...

That sandwich looks mouthwatering! Peaches were such a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Love peaches! Gotta make this...

Kristen said...

loving the description of the sandwich / its under appreciation as a dinner meal. so true. this one rocks!

Boston Food Diary said...

Wow what a unique combination!!! Would never have paired goat cheese and peaches but can totally see it working!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This sandwich looks great! I had a sandwich last night for dinner too...first time in a long time but I couldn't resist my homemade wheat baguette!

Golden Daily Scoop said...

This is my first time on your blog so I just wanted to say hi and your sandwich looks amazing! How creative! :)

The Small Boston Kitchen said...

Thanks all for the comments!

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen