9.14.2011

Take A Break..

Sometimes, all you need is a break. Even if it's just for a small window of space, it's amazing how pausing for a moment does a world of good. It's just so easy to run around like a crazy person and being a slave to work and email and everything else in life and it took a gentle reminder of that for me to make the time to enjoy the day.


Without even thinking about it or stressing over what to bring, yesterday, an impromptu picnic bag was packed and I was off to my new favorite spot, a local park that has a breathtaking view of the city. With simple sandwiches, an assortment of cheeses, marcona almonds and fresh figs, I felt a million times lighter and more refreshed, just sitting and talking in the shade of a tree on a perfectly sunny day. No cell phones interrupted, no computers were there to distract.


Once the lunch break was over, the items were packed up and I left the park a different person than when I came in. I felt rejuvenated, smiley and relaxed, not to mention ready to get back to work. It felt so good, I've vowed to take breaks like this more often.


Now it's your turn. I invite you to stop what you're doing. Please. No matter how stressful your life is and with all that you have going on, I urge you to put it aside for one lunch break. Call up someone, whether it be a friend, a co-worker, a significant other and invite them to lunch. Don't stress about what you're going eat and don't over think it. Just turn off the computer, put your phone on silent and grab a couple of items and go. You'll feel worlds better.

4 comments:

LC said...

Great advice! Really enjoyed the pictures!

Boston Food Diary said...

AH! I know that park!! There are some very cute puppies who play in that park! :-)

Frederick Wright said...

The Greenway has become my release valve, the perfect midday break where I can enjoy a vegetarian or vegan meal from one of the food trucks, breathe fresh air, feel the sunshine (for now anyway) and quietly appreciate all the sleek, good looking businessmen in their snug attire. I always return to my desk feeling rejuvenated.

Nancy said...

Ooh, will you share your secret park location for fellow locals?

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen