3.29.2012

Just Catching Up

Homemade Rye Bread
It certainly has been a little while since I've had the time to sit down and blog! Since I last wrote, I celebrated my birthday and had one of the best birthday's I've ever had. Burger Boy and I spent the night running around Boston drinking craft cocktails and eating bar bites at some of the best Boston restaurants before meeting up with some friends. Clio had a killer bar menu. Actually it's more like a bar book. But the most exciting page was the Mad Scientist section, where things get really fun. I had a gin and tonic with tea that is swirled into large, square ice cubes that infused the drink as they melted. We also went to L'Espalier and sat by the window in their Salon, and enjoyed cocktails, a cheese plate and some small bites. Funny enough, we were sitting right behind Barbara Lynch the whole time and didn't know until she got up to go to the restroom. Rounding out the evening, we went to The Hawthorne, which had a fun, chic atmosphere and an impressive cocktail list as well. It was quite the memorable evening.

Gin and Tonic at Clio
Our view from L'Espalier
On the home front, we've been cooking up a storm and I made some great rye bread, something I've wanted to make for a while now and some fun compound butters - a Vanilla Bean Kumquat Butter and Mole Butter. I've also really been focusing my energies on getting to know whole grains and I've really come to love their earthiness. There's just so many out there, each providing different textures and I've really enjoyed perking up my dishes with them.

My latest home project..
On the work front, I am happy to announce that our little baby, The Skinny Beet, is doing well. We've been working so hard and the past couple of months have been very good. We're looking forward to a busy next couple of months and we're delighted to announce that it looks like we've officially added larger parties (150 +) and wedding catering to our list of services that we offer and so far we've booked four for this year and we're working with a couple of other couples as well. I've found it to be so personally rewarding to work with a couple and developing menus that will make such an important day extra special.

Vanilla Bean Kumquat Butter and Mole Butter
Sprinkled in here are some pictures from the past couple of weeks, it seems that I can't put my camera down and I keep getting more and more into photography, something that I've found great joy in. As I further hone my kitchen skills and try out new things, I've been working on a lot of new recipes that I'd like to share too, so be on the look out for that! We've also got some great things coming up at The Skinny Beet, we're going to be working on a very special project that we're very excited about, as well as writing for another local publication and I'll be sure to share the details once things get ironed out. Until then, and as always, thank you for all your support!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I would love to make cheese!

MOLLY GALLER said...

Congratulations on expanding your business! I hope the birthday celebrations were wonderful and delicious!

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen