2.20.2013

Warm Bacon Cheeseburger Dip


I made this Cheeseburger dip a couple weeks ago, per the request of you-know-who. He had been asking me to make him something with a cheeseburgery theme to it and it took me a little while to finalize this recipe, because it seemed like there were so many directions to go in. I made this for a Superbowl party that we hosted and I'm just now getting around to writing it because it's been a crazier than normal couple of weeks. We're now in the thick of our wedding planning and reaching the midpoint. Tomorrow marks our 100 day countdown until we say our "I do's" and I get to be Mrs. Burger Boy! In between one of the busiest couple of months The Skinny Beet has had to date, we are finalizing the band, creating centerpieces and selecting invitations and with each detail, our wedding becomes more real. 


This past weekend, the real icing on the proverbial Wedding Cake (or in our case, French Macaroon) was the fact that I had my bridal shower. Expertly hosted by my lovely Sister, Mom (and even Dad had a hand in it) some of my nearest and dearest brunched with me, sipped mimosas and watched me unwrap toasters, new towels and wine glasses. The whole day was surreal and it hit me, I'm getting married! In talking more about my upcoming nuptuals to my burger-lover for life, it only seems fitting to provide a recipe for Cheeseburger Dip. 


When I set out to make this, I wasn't really sure what to expect. Obviously the point was to mimic a burger but make it into an ooey-gooey cheesy and scoopable form. I started by making a simple roux (butter and flour mixture) then added sharp cheddar cheese and a little Worcestershire, Ketchup and Mustard, which give it that "burger" taste. Already browned ground beef get added to the mix before some briny pickles are mixed in. You could, of course top the whole thing off with lettuce and tomatoes (or whatever other burger fixin's you fancy) or just leave it as is. Serve with Sesame Rounds (sliced and toasted sesame bread) or tortillas, Pita Chips, etc. Surprise the burger-lover in your life with this fun dip or just make it for yourself :) 

Warm Bacon Cheeseburger Dip 

- Olive Oil for the pan
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 Onion, cut into half-moon sized slivers
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk (more if needed)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3-4 slices of American Cheese
- A couple splashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 TBS Keptchup (a little more if desired)
- 1/2 TBS Mustard (a little more if desired)
- 1/2 cup Kosher Dill Pickles, divided
- 2-3 pieces cooked, crumbled bacon 
- Salt, to taste
- Sesame Rounds, Pita Chips or Tortilla Chips for dipping

In a medium, cast iron skillet (or regular skillet), heat just enough olive oil to coat the skillet. Add the ground beef and brown. Once meat is browned, remove from skillet and set aside. Drain skillet of any excess fat. Add the onions and heat on medium-low heat until they are caramelized and very soft. Add the butter and flour, stirring to combine. Heat for a minute or two until the roux starts to smell nutty. Add the milk and stir to combine. Add the cheese and heat until it's melted. You should be left with a thick sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. Add the ground beef to the skillet along with the Worcestershire, Ketchup and Mustard. Finally, add half of the pickles and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with remaining pickles and bacon. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. 

4 comments:

Michelle Collins said...

So glad to hear wedding planning is going well, and that you had your shower! How fun!

Julia said...

Hi there from Cologne!
I've been reading your blog for a while now and love it! I have lived in Boston for a couple months few years ago and love all the memories of that city. And since I love cooking and am always looking for new recipes your "Small Boston Kitchen" is just right. Thank you! :-)
Julia

Margaret C Jenkins said...

Hi there,
Found your post interesting to read and i tried that recipe the thing is delicious, you know can get a free iTunes gift cards

Dale M Martin said...

I found your post interesting to read and i want to say that this is a best post i have ever seen until now. Take a look at my blog How to design perfect banner in Corel Draw

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen