1.26.2010

Cheeseburger in Paradise

I can't really say that I'm a huge fan of Jimmy Buffet but I have to appreciate a man who wrote a song about his love for the all-American cheeseburger. And I agree with him wholeheartedly. Sometimes all you need at the end of the day is a big juicy cheeseburger. Nothing else will do and tonight that is just what happened.

I created this recipe this past summer (when my cheeseburger cravings were really at peak) and tonight was the perfect night to take a break from typical winter fare and cook up one of my summer faves. I should warn you, however, that I tend to be a purist with is comes to burgers. No greens. No tomatoes. No onions and hold the pickles, please. I like my taste buds to focus on what's really important: well seasoned beef, ooey gooey melty cheese and a nicely toasted bun. Tonight I used a grass-fed 90% lean ground beef, which is the percentage that I usually buy. It won't make the burger greasy but it will still have a great flavor. I like this recipe because the chipotle seasoning that I use (pictured, and available in the dry spice section of most grocery stores) gives the meat a little smokiness and just a hint of heat. I also top my cheeseburger with BBQ sauce because I think the sweetness of the sauce pairs so well with the spicyness of the chipotle.

Chipotle Cheeseburger

- Fresh ground beef (the amount you use depends on how hungry you are! I'd say that I used around a 1/4 lb for this recipe)
~ 1 1/2 tsp. tomato paste
~ 1 1/2 tsp. honey mustard
~ 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
~ 1/2 tsp Konriko chipotle seasoning (this already has salt and pepper in it)
- A couple pinches of garlic powder
- BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's the best) for topping
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 ciabatta roll (I prefer a nice crusty bread but use whatever roll you prefer)

Heat the grill pan or frying pan on medium heat. In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat, mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and chipotle seasoning. Mix thoroughly and pack into a patty. Place the patty on the grill pan or frying pan. Let it fry on one side for about 5-6 minutes and then flip the burger, and cook it for another 6-7 minutes. Resist the urge to flip the burger too much, that will encourage all of the juices to escape and those juices are what make the burger flavorful. Meanwhile, toast the ciabatta roll and melt cheese on both sides of the bun (since we are cooking indoors and can't pull the lid on a grill over, this ensures that the cheese melts thoroughly.) Poke the burger with your finger to test for doneness. If it feels a little firm and any juices are running clear, then you're ready to enjoy. Let your burger sit off the heat for a couple of minutes before eating. This will allow all of the juices to redistribute, making the burger more moist and tastier. Top your burger with BBQ sauce and layer it in between the toasted bread.

3 comments:

Propera said...

The sauce is boss.

Anonymous said...

That burger just made me super hungry. Except I would have swaped the honey mustard for regular yellow :)

Anonymous said...

Thats fantastic!!!!

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen