12.15.2010

Quick Chicken Soup with Homemade Spinach and Herb Gnocchi


Do you remember that gnocchi I made the other day?  In my post I mentioned how great freezing it is because in a pinch, you've got homemade gnocchi that you can just boil up and eat (or add that extra step of frying it) to make an easy weeknight meal.  I was living proof of that last night.  I had worked late, came home exhausted and all I wanted to do was curl up and watch some mindless tv (i.e. watch a couple of episodes of How I Met Your Mother that I have saved up in my DVR...is it just me or is that show ridiculously addictive?).  Oddly enough (and this rarely happens) I didn't want to cook an elaborate meal.  I wanted to throw something together so that I could just spend the rest of the night doing nothing.  So I took some of my gnocchi out of the freezer and tossed it into some hot, salted water and then about 3 minutes later, I had fresh homemade gnocchi.  Then I took some chicken stock, chopped mushrooms, some leftover chopped chicken breast, some finely diced onion, a little bit of garlic and thyme and then boiled it until everything came together.  Fast forward about ten minutes and I was sitting in front of the TV, piping hot soup in hand, ready to laugh at what hijinks Ted Mosby was going to get himself into in order to find himself his wife.  Not bad at all.  The best part?  I even have leftovers for lunch.  I love when that happens!


Quick Chicken Soup with Homemade Spinach and Herb Gnocchi
- 1 carton chicken stock
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 6 large mushroom caps
- 1 cup Spinach and herb gnocchi
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste

Start by boiling the gnocchi in salted water until it floats.  Remove from water and set aside. Next, fry the onions in a little salt until they start to get translucent (about 5 minutes).  Add the garlic and fry for another minute or two and then add mushroom slices and cook until tender.  Lastly, add the chicken stock to the pot along with the thyme.  Salt and peper to taste and add the gnocchi just before serving.

11 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

Ooh I love this idea. I really need to make some gnocchi. It would be so great to have some on hand for a warming bowl of soup like this.

I love mindless TV some nights too!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This is going to sound really stupid but I've only started taking advantage of my freezer in probably the past few years. But since I started doing it, I can't stop freezing soups, pestos, and casseroles...it all helps on those lazy no-cook nights!

Boston Food Diary said...

Deeeeeeelicious! You have totally inspired some gnocchi making desire in me. This looks fantastic! You might even say it looks legen....wait for it.............dary!

Elizabeth Howes said...

Yes, please! This looks great -- and I love the addition of the gnocchi.

Unknown said...

ooh, this sounds perfect for the late nights i've been having! yummy :) and how i met your mother is good, i like you're idea of having more to watch at once, 30min is always too short!!

Meesh said...

way to use your gnocchi in a new creative way! love it.

Beth B. said...

That looks amazing!!! Can you make that when you come home?! :) hehe

Meghan@travelwinedine said...

I looooove gnocchi! Your evening sounds so comfy cozy!

Alicia said...

Yum. You KNOW I swear by freezer meals. This probably felt like such a comforting treat after such a long day. Looks delicious.

Kerstin said...

What a lovely comforting meal - I need to get better at freezing things so I have quick meals too!

Tummy tuck said...

Wow.. Its to yummy. I like this picture and This look superb, Here I like your idea, Thanks for sharing this information here.

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen