8.10.2010

The Golden Temple

I forgot how much I love the Golden Temple (www.healthyfreshfood.com) in Brookline's Washington Square.  It had been a little while since I've been here, for no good reason other than I like to continuously try new places.  It is flashy and grand in presence, sitting high atop Beacon Street, decorated in bright gold detailing, it makes me feel as if a giant gong should sound as I enter.  (Actually, it would be kinda cool if it did.)  The interior of this giant restaurant is rather interesting.  When you walk in, you can either go to the right or the left.  Depending on which direction you chose, you're in for two very different evenings.

To your right, it feels like a nicer Chinese food restaurant.  Open and airy with high ceilings and beams that criss-cross above, the entire room is cream in color but contrasted by dim lights and candle light on the tables.  In stark contrast, the left side of the restaurant reminds me of a Chinese disco party.  It's perpetually dark with a large dance floor in the center of the room and a high ceiling that has fluorescent neon lights that alternate in color.  When the dance floor is not being used, this room is topped off by additional tables for dining.

The food itself is pretty great.  I've eaten here several times since I moved to the area and have always been satisfied with my meal.  The menu is extensive (seriously, it's kind of like a short novel) which is great when you're looking for a place to bring people of varying likes and dislikes.  I usually like to start my meal with their pot stickers, which are plump little pillows of deliciously seasoned chicken and vegetables.  These pot stickers are then fried up so that they have a nice little crunchy skin to them.  The appetizers are served with a trio of dipping sauces (hot Chinese mustard, duck sauce, and something with a lot of nutty sesame oil in it).

For the main course, I've had my fair share of tastes.  The noodle dishes are some of my favorites.  Fresh delicate pasta fried up with a variety of veggies and meats.  This past weekend when I was there, I ordered the Mandarin Chopped Tenderloin which is a healthy portion of chopped tenderloin beef, diced snow peas, shiitake mushrooms, water chestnuts and red peppers all stir-fried together and served with a side of hoisin sauce and pancakes to wrap it all up it.  It was delicious with just a nice little kick at the end, just to keep you on your toes.

In short, at the Golden Temple, the service is fast, the prices are extremely reasonable and the food is fantastic.  The service can be a little pushy at times if there's a line of people waiting to get a table but as long as the good food keeps flowing, that's alright by me.  Give it a shot next time your in the 'hood.

Golden Temple on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Beth B. said...

Best Chinese food I have ever had and I can't wait to go back there!

Anonymous said...

We ordered Chinese food tonight for dinner....absolutely no comparison to the food at the Golden Temple. I give it five stars and I cannot wait to go back again. The LoMein is the absolute best!!

Sarah @ The Amateur's Dish said...

I LOVE Golden Temple! I lived right down the street from it for 4 years, and I'm so missing the food (and the disco party...haha) now that I live in Southie!

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen