10.04.2010

It's A Twice Baked Potato Kind Of Day



Ever just have one of those days that just leaves you frustrated?  You know, the type of day that makes you want to throw up your arms and exclaim, "Alright! Enough is enough!".  Well that seemed to be my day today.  Bouncing around today in what was a busy day but one that dragged on at the same time.  Then, to top it off, my Blackberry died.  Just like that, in mid-email no less.  I guess it had decided that it had enough and was checking out.  Double ugh.

But then I came home.  I stepped out of the blustery October day and into the warm comforts of my apartment.  I took off my jacket, changed into some relaxing clothes and poured myself a glass of wine.  I then went to my favorite place in the whole world to unwind in: my Small Boston Kitchen.  Rummaging through my cabinets and searching through my refrigerator, I decided that tonight called for the comfort and compassion that only one meal can provide: twice baked potatoes.  


Twice baked potatoes are a brilliant invention really.  They're kind of like hyped-up potato skins but only about a thousand times better.  And to think all it is is just mashed potatoes (which, let's be honest, are flat out amazing) stuffed into little crispy little edible cups made from the skins of the potato.  And then they get baked in the oven until the outside skins get a little crunchy and the center gives way to soft and creamy mashed potato fantasticness.  Simply put, they are the perfect thing to have on a not-so picture perfect day, don't you think?




Usually, people make twice-baked potatoes and have them as a side dish.  Uh, uh. Not this girl.  I say, make 'em the the whole meal.  And why not?  They are filling, and if you eat the skins, they can be very nutritious as well.  Not to mention, potatoes are in season right now so they are particularly fresh.  For these 'taters I used two different kinds of cheeses (Fromage Blanc, which is like French "Greek" yogurt, and a sharp cheddar).  I also sprinkled in little bits of rosemary as well because it's rustic flavors pair so well with potatoes.  For the finishing touch, bacon crumbles (all natural, preservative free bacon in case those of you following me on my unprocessed food journey are wondering!) and fresh snipped chives.  To me, this meal was the dinner was the food equivalent of a comforting hug and perfect for a tough day.


Twice Baked Potatoes
- 1 large russet potato
- About 2 tbs Formage Blanc (or sour cream or Greek yogurt)
- About 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- A couple generous splashes of half and half
- A giant handful of sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 piece of bacon, cooked and finely crumbled
- Fresh snipped chives
- Salt and pepper to taste


Start by poking holes in the potato with a sharp knife and stick in the oven at 400.  Keep an eye on the potato an flip it every 20 minutes or so to allow for even cooking.  The potato is done when a knife can smoothly be inserted into the center with no resistance. Let the potato cool a bit and the cut it in half lengthwise.  Carefully scoop out the insides leaving just the skins.  Placing the insides of the potato into a bowl, add the fromage blanc, the half and half, the dried rosemary and 1/2 of the cheese.  Mash well to combine and then scoop the potato/cheese mixture into the potato skins.  Bake at about 400 until the tops just start to brown a little.  Add the bacon and let that bake for another 5 minutes or so.  Top with chives just before serving.  



4 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

Sending you a real hug! :)

I make baked potatoes for a whole meal too. I keep looking at that fromage blanc but then not getting it... now I have a reason to get some!

Kristen said...

These look so good! I usually make mine with sour cream, butter, and cheddar cheese. I eat them as a whole meal too. Well last week I did regular baked and a corn/onion succotash. I'm so lazy about posting my meals...but NOW I must make 2x baked.

Sorry you had a crappy day.

Erin said...

This looks delicious! I've always wanted to know how to make a twice baked potato. Thanks for posting!

Eliana said...

This potato will bring sunshine to any dreary day. Looks awesome.

What's Hot From The Small Boston Kitchen